Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Happiness is...


The past few weeks I've been a little black rain cloud--grumpy, agitated, frustrated, and just in an overall bad mood. Certain periods of life are particularly overwhelming and I'm in one of those right now. I'm so ready to be done with grad school. Every day I want to quit and throw in the towel. It's taking every ounce of effort I have in me to keep going. The Polar Vortex has brought a bitter, long winter to Chicago and I'm at my whits end. Spring needs to come NOW!

But this post isn't going to be a downer or an attempt to understand some deeper life issue. I want to pause and reflect on the happy things. Because even amidst all the crap I'm trying to deal with right now, there are still moments where that make me stop and truly appreciate the life I've been given.

For me, right now, happiness is...
  • Taking Uber to work because I was running SUPER late this morning (I swore I'd never do it due to my measly salary but sometimes you just have to go big or go home)
  • Watching episodes of Nashville on my Kindle
  • Receiving a text message of encouragement from a dear friend
  • Spending Saturday night with one of my girl friends at our favorite hot spot...Target!
  • Paying $3.50 for a delicious cup of Starbucks hot chocolate. Treat yo' self.

1 comment:

  1. Hi There Rissy.............you really have been hit hard with the polar vortex........we have had a pretty whimpy winter......snow in the mountains and rain in the valley......but it is snowing as I type the. Remember, you are my She-Ro.......so brave and adventurous........I think of you often when I approach something hard. Nobody enjoys or appreciates a beautiful spring morning like those who have lived thru a brutal winter. Those San Diego Peeps, or Az. or Fla. they don't get it..........but we know.

    ReplyDelete