Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What are you doing New Year's Eve?

New Year's Eve Party, 1952

Most single people hate Valentine's Day, right? Not this girl. Bring on the pink, chocolate, and hearts. But the handsome crooner singing "What are you doing New Year's, New Year's Eve?"--he can stick it. I've had too many romantic letdowns and failed party attempts to have any admiration for the holiday.

So this year instead of having to figure out how to spend the one holiday I despise, I decided it would be the perfect day to head back to Chicago after spending Christmas in Utah. Based on my experience tonight, December 31st appears to be a very popular travel day for families. I've flown a lot this year and I've never had so many kids on my flight. It was super noisy and crowded. Midway was a nightmare too thanks to a winter storm hitting Chicago. It took forever to get my bags and then I hauled Harper and all my crap onto the train. What an adventure! This crazy cat lady has never been so happy to be back in her own apartment.

While I'm not a New Year's Eve fan, I am happy for the fresh start of a new year. A symbolic reset button is always welcome in my world. 2014 is sure to bring exciting changes and milestones. In six months I'll have my master's degree. I can hardly believe it. I don't know what's next but I'm excited for the future.

Forget New Year's Eve but here's to a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment