Friday, July 13, 2012

singin' in the rain...


Thursday night I had the once in a lifetime experience of seeing Singin' in the Rain on the big screen. Turner Classic Movies presented the event in celebration of the film's 60th anniversary. My mom had told me about it earlier in the week and it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. My lovely friend Charlotte accompanied me to the theater and we had a splendid time.

Prior to the movie starting, interviews with Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds were shown. I had no idea Debbie was only 18 when the movie was filmed and that she had no prior dance experience. She talked about spending hours practicing routines under Gene Kelley's intense tutelage. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been trying to keep up with Gene and Donald, both trained, accomplished dancers. Watching the film today you'd never know Debbie was a novice.

An affirmed lover of musicals, Singin' in the Rain is definitely among my top five, all-time favorites. After each dance number the audience would gleefully clap. You could feel the joy in the air. I had a smile on my face the entire 103 minutes. My cheeks hurt afterward. It was a simply wonderful evening.

photo source

No comments:

Post a Comment