Friday, July 19, 2013

New York State of Mind: Portraits of Pain

photo by Taslima Akhter

"Portraits of Pain" by Krista Mahr - TIME Magazine

This image and article demonstrate the unique power of photographs, particular as they relate to the April 24 collapse of the Rana Plaza garment-factory in Bangladesh.

“This is not a wake-up call,” says Sara Hossain, a human-rights lawyer in Dhaka who has filed several cases to the Supreme Court calling for investigations into the disasters. “This is like somebody sleeping in after the alarm has been ringing and ringing and ringing.”

***

"Weighing the Cost: Shoppers grapple with the aftermath of Bangladesh" by Irish Mae Silvestre - M.A. Journalism, DePaul University

Shoppers, including myself, react to the "Made in Bangladesh" label a month after the factory collapse tragedy.

“Sometimes as much as I’d like to buy local or not buy that H&M T-shirt, I’m more focused on my daily life, my financial and living situation,” said Fidler. “Those take over when I make my decision and I’m not necessarily proud of that but that’s the reality for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment