Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Oscars

Sunday evening I accompanied my dear friend Irish to an Oscars viewing party at Rockit Bar & Grill, hosted by Michigan Avenue magazine. Irish is interning for Michigan Avenue right now and asked if I'd be her plus one. Naturally, I said yes.

We navigated the altered red line route and arrived right on time. Rockit has an urban, rustic feel accented by rich, dark wood and antler chandeliers. Upstairs in the lounge, flat screen TVs lined the perimeter. Mini Oscars statues graced the tables and booths. One may or may not have come home with me.

Irish introduced me to her coworkers and found a quiet back wall to people watch and down the delicious appetizers brought out by waitresses in tight black t-shirts. Slider cheeseburgers, truffle fries, crispy shrimp salad. We tried everything. No shame.

Famous film critic Richard Roeper hosted the event with Billy Dec, Rockit's owner and CEO. Twitter was a big part of the night's festivities promoted by the hashtag #rockitoscars. I took to the twittersphere and was re-tweeted by Rockit a few times. Kinda cool.

I wore kitten heels and my feet were killing me after less than two hours. I don't know how the stars do it. I read on Twitter that the first thing Adele did when she walked off stage after singing Skyfall was kickoff her stilettos. My kind of girl.

While we enjoyed the event, Irish and I aren't big party girls or late-nighters. After a few hours we headed back to her apartment, grabbed Cheetos and ice cream at the 7-Eleven, and watched the rest of the Oscars from the comfort of her bedroom.

Oscars Highlights: So happy Jennifer Lawrence won. Could she be more adorable? Anne Hathaway's first dress was HORRIBLE but I'm happy she won Best Supporting Actress. Adele rocked it. Loved the Les Miserables performance. I definitely need to see Life of Pi, Argo, Lincoln, and Silver Linings Playbook.

P.S. I love the red carpet. In my online perusing I stumbled upon this awesome project by The New York Times. Check it out!

Jennifer Lawrence image / Oscars logo image

No comments:

Post a Comment