Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Going Red

The first time I went red was my last year of college. Inspired by the fabulous Kate Walsh and motivated by the need to change things up after a love life disaster, I took to the bottle. It was fun for awhile and then, come summer, I transitioned into blonde highlights.

By fall I'd moved from Logan to Salt Lake City and started a new job. More change meant another hair style. I went back to my standard, natural brown hue and chopped my should length bob into a pixie cut in an attempt to resemble Carey Mulligan's Vogue cover. Easiest haircut...ever.

When I moved to Chicago a year-and-a-half ago, I decided to grow out my Carey Mulligan cut. Combined with a botched haircut at the Aveda salon (most of the time their $16 grad student budget-friendly cut is fabulous, but this girl didn't know what the heck she was doing) and the glacial pace at which my hair grows, I'm still working on reaching my desired length. I can finally put it up in a high ponytail without bobby pins. Hooray!

Most of the time when I'm hanging out at home, HIMYM is playing in the background. I've lost track of how many times I've re-watched the seasons. Lately, Lily's hair has caught my eye. I especially love the hue and cut she has in seasons five and six. My hair isn't quite her length yet but it's getting there. On Saturday I decided to take the plunge and go red again. And....I love it!

I'm toying with the idea of getting some soft blonde highlights like Lily's for more dimension and depth. But, I don't dare do it myself and I'm not sure I can really afford it. I have several weddings coming up in the next few months so I don't want to botch my hair. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

If you're looking for good, DIY hair color I highly recommend Clairol Perfect 10. The shade on me is 5R Medium Auburn.


No comments:

Post a Comment