Monday, October 15, 2012

The Little Baby Muffin is Sick


It was a rough weekend. Friday morning I woke up and Harper wasn't herself. She has a condition where her balance isn't always great but this was different. When I got home from work I found her sprawled out in the middle of the floor. She never does that. She couldn't stand up or hold her head up. Something was seriously wrong.

I forced her into her kitty crate (she hates that thing) and hopped a cab to the animal hospital. She cried the whole way there. We rushed into an exam room and they soon took Harper away to do blood work and tests. All I could do was wait.

Sitting in the Chicago Animal Hospital ER endless thoughts and questions clouded my mind. How do people go through things like this with their own children? If I'm this worried and scared for my cat how will I react when I have kids? Is Harper ok? Is she in pain? There's nothing I can do!

Waiting to hear a diagnosis--animal or human--is one of the worst feelings in the world. I felt so helpless and pathetic. I suddenly became hyper aware how alone I am. Everyone else had their significant other by their side. I live 2,000 miles away from the people I love. I don't have a boyfriend or husband. I have friends here but it's not the same. Friday night I didn't have a person.

I live alone. Home won't be the same if I don't have Harper. I need the little baby muffin to be ok.

I couldn't talk on my phone in the lobby and didn't want to step outside so I relied on text messages to get me through the 2.5 hrs of waiting. Sarah was at the Jazz game with Chris and Kenz. They sent me funny pictures and kept me laughing. Keely, my parents, and auntie all kept checking in too. c

Finally, the doctor called be into the exam room and proceeded to tell me that Harper's blood and enzyme levels were all normal. He didn't know what was wrong. 2.5 hours and a ridiculous amount of money later we had nothing.

Saturday and Sunday I got her to eat and drink a little bit and she went potty--all good things. I just have to keep watching her and see how she does. I pray everything will be ok.

1 comment: