Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday Wisdom: We are the Girls

photo by Alexis Perevoschikov

While I don't agree with every aspect of this quote, I think it's a good reminder to stop the glorification of busy; to understand and internalize your individual worth.

I spent the first 19 years of my life trying to be everything. If you work hard you can accomplish anything. Live life to the fullest. Give 110% everyday. I applied these adages literally and liberally. 

While I accomplished a lot during my teen years (I have a box full of plaques and certificates to prove it), I never let my success sink in. I never felt good enough and failed to recognize that I was the person I was trying so hard to be.

It took a complete mental and physical breakdown for me to stop and re-evaluate my life; to understand that just because I could or wanted to do something it didn't mean I should. I wanted so badly to help and influence others I failed to take care of myself.

Today, at the age of 25, I still possess an innate drive to succeed and put my whole heart into things, but I also know I have limits. Balancing life is tricky and although I don't have it all figured out, I'm more centered and happy with who I am right now.


2 comments:

  1. Such great inspiration! Glad to have found your blog.
    www.fashiontruffles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the term 'the glorification of busy.' I feel like that's been the basis of my entire life, especially high school, college and now post college as well. I'm constantly on the go and am always adding more things to my to do list and thinking of more things I want to achieve.

    But I'm realizing lately that I absolutely must try to find a better balance between work and downtime. There is no shame in getting plenty of sleep or watching your favorite tv show every once in a while. I'm also realizing that I need to be more thankful for the things I have achieved. I tend to set goals, work hard to achieve them, and then once I do achieve them I hardly wait a moment until I've set the next goal to work toward.

    In summary, I clearly resonated with this post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete